Developing Reading Skill through Visualizing the text of Recount for Students of X Aph 1 at SMK N 6 Semarang in the Academic Year of 2015-2016

Ahlis Qoidah Noor

Abstract


This Classroom Action Research ( CAR ) focused on how to develop students skill in Reading through visualizing the text of recount in the frame of Task Based Learning. The subject of the research was students of Grade X Aph 1 of SMK N 6 Semarang. The goal of the CAR is to identify the students skill in Reading and after having it then to develop them using the method Visualizing of recount text in the frame work of Task Based Learning (TBL). TBL is one type of the Student Centered Learning . The activities which were done in TBL were classified into the real task with their categories. Prabu ( 1987 ) suggested that there are 3 main categories from a task (1) information-gap, (2) reasoning-gap, and (3) opinion-gap. Whereas Willis ( 1996, pp. 135-136) informed that TBL consisted of the pre-task, the task cycle, and the language focus then the writer did a range of activities as a manifestation of TBL. As the component are goal and objectives, input, activities, teacher role, learner role, and setting. The CAR was done in two cycles where each cycle was in 2x2x45 minutes. It was for students of Grade X Aph1 .The result showed that the Reading skill increased from 15 % to 25 %. It was not satisfying result. In the second cycle, It developed to be 65 %. There was a little effort showed by the students with personal problem or family problem but at least the competence of the students increase from 15 % to 65 %. The rest of 35 % students consist of 25 % in big problem and 10 % students need some remedial assignment. After all activities done, the final skill in Reading was that there were 85 % students were skillful in Reading.

Keywords


visualizing; recount; TBL

Full Text:

PDF

References


Brown, Douglas H.(2001).Teaching by Principles: An Interactive Approach to Language Pedagogy, Second Edition,Longman, New York

Clarke, Mark A and Silberstein, Sandra. ( 1977). Toward a realization of psycholinguistic principles for the ESL reading class : Language Learning

Goodman, Kenneth S.1970. Reading : A Psycholinguistic guessing game. In Singer , H and Ruddel , R.B.( Eds ).Theoretical Models and Processes of Reading .Newark, DE: International Reading Association.

http://celtamate.wordpress.com/2012/12/26/task-based-learning-tbl/

Kemdikbud .( 2013 ). Standard Competence and Core Competence of Curriculum of SMK 2013.

Kern, R. G. (1989). Second language reading strategy instruction: Its effects on comprehension and word inference ability. Modern Language Journal, 73, 135-149.

Kern,,R.G. ( 2000 ). Literacy and Language Teaching .Oxford applied linguistics, Oxford University Press, 2000

Lindsay, C. & Knight, P. (2006). Learning and Teaching English. Oxford, NY: Oxford University.

Nuttall, Christine (1982) Teaching reading skills in a foreign language, London: Heinemann Educational Books. (new edition available 1998)

Nuttal, Christine.1996. Teaching Reding Skills in a Foreign Language . Second Edition. Oxford. Heinemann.

Prabhu, N. S. (1987). Second Language Pedagogy. Oxford University Press. Retrieved 18 January 2013.

Willis, Jane (1996). A Framework for Task-Based Learning. Longman.

Willis, J. (1996). A Framework for Task-Based Learning. England, UK: Pearson Education


Refbacks

  • There are currently no refbacks.